The Schilling Residence
In 1936, the Schilling Residence was constructed on Lake Tahoe’s west shore for Paul and Frances Pennoyer. Using all local and natural material, Berkeley architect Roland Stringham envisioned the two-story, wood-framed residence with gorgeous double-height living room, fieldstone chimney, dining room, private rooms and expansive service quarters. The interior includes finished wood siding, exposed roof trusses and flooring made of redwood, end-grain blocks. All of which has been safely deconstructed and stored to maintain the original building integrity in preparation for reconstruction.
Architectural history abounds alongside impressive family ties: Paul Pennoyer, son of Albert A. Pennoyer, the wealthy Oakland merchant and partner of Taft & Pennoyer dry goods, married Frances, daughter of John Pierpont Morgan Jr. of the JP Morgan banking dynasty. They honeymooned out west at Lake Tahoe in 1917 and fell in love with the place. When their daughter Frances married August Hamilton Schilling, grandson of the spice magnate August Schilling, the family tradition of summering in Tahoe was maintained for a total of 75 years. The 2012 sale of the Schilling Residence marked a significant change in family history, but with the sincere and generous donation from buyer Mr. John Mozart, this piece of American and Lake Tahoe history will remain.
Is it with great pleasure and through the partnership between Tahoe Cross Country and Tahoe City Public Utility District that the 1936 Schilling Residence may become the new lodge for Tahoe Cross-Country. We sincerely hope you will support us in encouraging community growth by participating in this project.
- Tahoe XC Board of Directors